You know those days when you just want something sweet, but don’t want to go through the whole tub of ice cream? Many experts would suggest we settle for a square of dark chocolate, but we all know that’s not happening. The trick is finding a balance between the two. By choosing the right ingredients, we can satisfy our sweet tooth without feeling bloated and sluggish in a few hours. This recipe I came across combines protein-rich nuts and oats with the natural sweetness of maple syrup. Not only will these treats give you a sweet kick, but they’ll keep you feeling full for longer with their combo of healthy fats, protein and fiber. Plus, they’re super easy to make!
You will need:
- 7 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 cup dry old fashioned oats
- 3 tbsp mixed nuts (or seeds)
- Square tin or pan
Makes 9 bars
- Mix peanut butter and maple syrup in a pan over medium heat. Stir until completely smooth.
- Add oats and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle on nuts or seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into a square tin and press it down evenly.
- Chill in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- Once firm, cut into 9 individual bars and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per Bar:
164 calories; 63 calories from fat; 7 g fat; 22 g carbs; 1 g fiber; 4 g protein