Feeling adventurous? Delight your palate with this gourmet salad bursting with flavors and textures. Inspired by a similar dish from Cal Poly Pomona’s Restaurant at the Kellogg Ranch, this recipe offers a medley of tangy, salty, and sweet flavors.
Beet Arugula Salad with Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette
Yield: 4 Servings
1 (15 1/4 oz) can sliced beets (no salt added)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp of shallots, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp of honey
1/3 cup of olive oil
salt and ground pepper
6 cups of fresh baby arugula, washed and pat dry
1 orange, peeled and cut into 1 inch segments
1/2 cup candied walnuts
3 oz soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
4 oz. ham steak, diced
1/2 cup croutons, store bought or homemade
What you need:
Baking sheet pan (cookie sheet pan)
Small & large bowl
1. Preheat oven to 450 °F. Line baking sheet pan with foil and coat with non-stick spray. Evenly lay out beets on sheet pan and roast until edges start to brown, about 8-10 mins. Set aside and cool.
2. In a small bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, shallots and honey. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a large bowl, toss arugula with enough vinaigrette to coat salad. Top with oranges, walnuts, goat cheese, ham, and croutons. If desired, sprinkle additional ground pepper on salad. Bon Appetit!
For quick homemade croutons:
Yield: 1/2 cup of croutons
2 slices of loaf bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
What you need:
Baking sheet pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a small bowl, gently toss bread in olive oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place bread mixture on baking sheet and evenly spread out. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Set aside and cool.