February is the month of LOVE . Treat your loved ones or yourself with this simple yet nutrient-dense Valentine’s Day dessert that will satisfy your chocolate cravings without indulging into too much sweets. Boost the nutrient content and add flair to your chocolate dipped strawberries by topping them with almonds, shredded coconut, or crushed cinnamon graham crackers. Start dipping now…
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 lb. fresh strawberries (15 strawberries), washed and pat dry
1/4 cup cinnamon graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup sliced almonds
What you need:
heatproof (oven-safe) medium bowl (ceramic, glass, stainless steel) – big enough to sit on top of the sauce pot
waxed or parchment paper
1. Melt chocolate until smooth. Two methods:
- Double-Boiler (Bain-Marie) Method – Fill a sauce pot half way with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips in heatproof bowl and place on top of the sauce pot with the hot water that was just boiled. Gently stir chocolate as it beginnings to melt. The steam coming from the hot water heats the bowl and gently melts the chocolate without burning it.
- Microwave – Add chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 50% power for 1-1/2 minutes. Stir chocolate until bowl is cool to touch. Continue heating chocolate in 30 seconds increments until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. *Stir chocolate between each heating.
2. Carefully dip each strawberry using a side-to-side motion to achieve a nice even coating. Remove excess chocolate by carefully lifting the strawberry upside down or gently twirling the strawberry to allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
3. Dip the chocolate covered strawberries into desired toppings or sprinkle directly on top.
4. Place strawberries on waxed or parchment paper and set-aside until chocolate is firm. ENJOY!
- To reduce the sugar content, you can substitute dark chocolate for semi-sweet chocolate and use unsweetened shredded coconut.
- To quickly set the chocolate, you can place the chocolate covered strawberries in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Do not leave the chocolate covered strawberries in the refrigerator for too long or it will begin to leave white streaks on the chocolate.