Applying for jobs can be tough, especially with such a competitive job market! Here are ten great tips by Cassi Fields, author of Best Ways to Gain Employment & Advance in Your Career. These tips are located in A.N.D.’s Resources for Dietetics / Nutrition Career Opportunities in the Career Center (at eatright.org).
- Identify your target job – Make a list of your strengths, qualifications, skills, and interests and find what suits you best
- Learn EVERYTHING about the career and what it takes to get there – Find out the requirements by asking current employees on professional networking sites, or requesting informational interviews
- Get the skills/strengths needed for that career – Volunteer; be involved and get experience!
- Learn and further the knowledge needed for that field – Read books, participate in training courses, go one step further in completing more in your work
- Train your personality to fit the job – Practice public speaking, participate in team building courses, and build confidence in your abilities
- Find a target organization – Review the company website, email employees, or contact the human resources department
- Network! Attend job fairs, conferences, company sponsored events, or seminars
- Design your resume to fit the job – Know and meet the requirements set by the company or organization, and tailor your resume to showcase your abilities that will benefit the company
- Learn about the selection process and who will select you – Contact the human resources department and learn the best way to apply in order to receive the best chance of selection
- Landing the job interview – Once scheduled for an interview, prepare by researching, writing questions about the company or position, and looking up the do’s and don’ts of a job interview
A.N.D.’s Career Center offers access to job listings and volunteer opportunities, a chance to network with other nutrition professionals, and more!